Friday, March 07, 2014

Nick in Launceston

T'was the night before Dogs of War,
and all through the house,
not a tank was stirring,
not even a Maus ...


So we played Firefly.

1.  If you haven't watched the TV series, go watch it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)  It is one of the best science fiction shows ever.  Perhaps made better by the fact it was cancelled, and hence didn't get a chance to descend into 'silly'.  Also, don't watch the movie 'Serenity' -- Serenity is to firefly what Episode 1 is to 'Star Wars' -- something that turns gold into lead.


2.  The game is described at boardgame geek:  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/138161/firefly-the-game

3.  I didn't take pics, so I downloaded this pic from boardgamegeek:


The game really captured the spirit of the show.  I was Mal Reynolds on Serenity, with Irena as part of my crew, plus some assorted pilots, medics, and hired guns.  I did find Jayne's Cunning Hat (hence the picture shown above) (watch the show if you don't understand!).  I had a lot of diplomacy and engineering skills, but very little fighting skills.  I did manage to pull off the hospital robbery on Ariel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_(Firefly_episode)) and earned a TON of money -- but I had to carefully wait until the 'Aim to Misbehave' deck was stacked in my favour (I had obtained a computer enhancement that let me examine and re-arrange to top three cards on the misbehave deck).

In the end The Other Nick won, managing to buy a cunning replica of the 'shiny hat' from 'Earth That Was', and exchange it for the real one.  He was dogged by reavers, and did loose a few crew, but by concentrating on fighting skills he managed to fight out of most situations.

No comments: